Laptop Buying Guide - Choose the best laptop
Whether you are planning to buy a laptop to work from home or attend online classes, finding a good laptop requires proper insight of must have features and specifications. To streamline your search, we have got this laptop buying guide which can help you identify a laptop best suited to your need.
Standard configuration followed for buying a laptop
- Screen size: 15.6 is standard, 12 to 14 are more portable
- Display type: Pick IPS for great viewing angles
- RAM & ROM: 4GB RAM or more for multitasking with minimum 512GB storage or SSD 256 GB
- Battery: Around 5 to 8 hours of battery life support
Now, Let's discuss in detail:
Choosing the right operating system is the first and the most important step when buying a new laptop. Some of the top used OS in the market are:
- latest version is windows 10
- easy to use and intuitive UI
- Ideal choice for work or daily use
- most devices in the market at compatible to it
- The latest version is 10.15 - Catalina
- Simplified user interface
- Ease of multitasking for robust users
- Less vulnerable to security lapses
- Open source operating system
- Secure to malicious programmes
- Supports wide range of programming languages for coders
- Reliable and does not compromise performance
Determining the storage capacity
More storage capacity helps a laptop perform actions in the background seamlessly. It is always good to have more storage in your laptop to save media files and give enough space to the device to boot flawlessly. Different types of hard drive are:
- HDD: Hard disk drives offer huge storage size at a reasonable cost per gigabyte
- SSD: Solid state drives provide smooth booting and multitasking performance and are good for thin and light laptops
- SSHD: Solid state hybrid drives offer maximum capacity at an affordable price along with sound booting and loading.
Identifying the right RAM size
Larger RAM renders good multitasking abilities in laptops. You can identify the right RAM size for your new laptop, depending on your usage, i.e. office work, casual browsing, gaming or online classes.
- For browsing websites, watching videos online or doing office work.
- Budget laptop with a descent 4GB RAM and 256 GB SSD storage.
- Intensive usage like photo editing, and run semi demanding office programmes
- Core i3 - i5 processor with 4GB to 8GB RAM and 512GB SSD storage
Heavy and demanding use:
- Professional gamer, video editing and rendering, working with large number of images, animation and graphic design work
- Core i9 and above, 16 to 32GB RAM and a top end SSD storage unit.
Selecting the best processor in laptop
- Integrates two processors in a single package
- Ideal for multitasking
- Consumes less energy
- Delivers fast performances
- Integrates two dual core processors within a single processor
- Doubles the efficiency and speed
- More battery efficient
- Best suited for gaming
- Security features, manageability and performance
- Controls the temperature
- Robust battery life
- Performances at reasonable price range
When it comes to choosing a good laptop, the CPU processor must be considered wisely. The best CPU processor not only offers the fastest speed but also the number of cores.
Other features to look for in a new laptop:
- USB Port: USB Type C offers speed and functionality
- Display: OLED screen displays better than real life images
- Touchscreen: Makes the interface simpler and eases access
- 2 in 1 PCs: next gen laptops that can fold flat and even detach for a tablet experience
- Wi-Fi: Get next gen wi-fi 6 which is faster than the standard 802.11ac wi-fi
- Graphics: Look for a laptop that has a Nvidia graphic chip